Your Guide To Pitta Skin Type: Combination of Fire and Water!Jennifer
Yoga and Ayurveda are time-tested whole-body approach to achieving and maintaining health and well-being, that originated in India around 5,000 years ago. Ayurveda defines three basic body types: Vatta, Pitta, and Kapha. This classification is based on psycho-physiological principles called doshas. These doshas govern all the activities of the mind and body and determine the physical characteristics and emotional and mental tendencies of every human being that extends to your skin type as well.
Common Pitta Imbalance Symptoms
Those who are Pitta have an excess of fire and water. Their skin is soft and warm to the touch. The skin is one of the primary places where Pitta resides in the body, so it is especially vulnerable to imbalance. Pittas have highly sensitive skin.
When in balance, Pittas have a beautiful rosy glow and dewy complexion. When out of balance their skin becomes oily and prone to breakouts. Pittas burn more easily in the sun than other doshas. They are also more likely to suffer from to rashes, rosacea, and psoriasis.
Pittas have classic combination skin, with both oily zones and drier areas that are prone to irritation and inflammation. They need a skin care regimen that is able to simultaneously address both of these issues.
Because of their excess of fire, Pitta types overheat easily and may be prone to excess perspiration in hot weather. It is especially important to take good care of your Pitta skin on hot or humid days to avoid excess oil, acne, or inflammation.
Balancing Pitta Skin
If this is your type, in order to balance the hot, moist energy of your Pitta skin you need to focus on two key words: soothe and balance.
Because it is so highly prone to irritation, everything you use must be gentle, all natural, and contain ingredients designed to both balance sebum (oil) production, and soothe and protect. It is most important for Pittas, among all the doshas, to avoid harsh, synthetic products.
Cucumber is especially good for Pittas due to its inherent cooling and soothing properties. All Refresh Botanicals products contain cucumber extract as main ingredient, along with additional active botanicals with the power to calm distressed skin such as cornflower water and honeysuckle extract. Refresh Botanicals Daily Facial Moisturizer, Intensive Serum, and Night Restore Complex receive an extra boost of soothing power from gentle sweet almond oil.
The other issue facing Pittas, excess oil production, is best controlled by jojoba oil. With a structure that closely mimics human sebum, jojoba oil has the ability to regulate your skin’s own natural oil production, reducing oiliness where it is too high, and increasing it where it is too low. Refresh Botanicals Daily Facial Moisturizer, Intensive Serum, and Night Restore Complex all contain jojoba oil.
Bringing your body into full balance also means adopting a Pitta-pacifying lifestyle. This involves starting your day with a mindfulness meditation or calming exercise like yoga, tai chi, or pilates, and enjoying a daily walk to cool off your body. Establishing a nightly electronic-free calming routine is also important to wind down and prepare for sleep. Both your morning and evening routines should of course include time to care for your skin.
Pitta Skin Care Recommendations:
In the morning:
- Use Refresh Botanicals Foaming Facial Cleanser to gently remove dirt and impurities. Either rinsing it off with water or gently wiping it away with a cotton pad.
- Gently massage Refresh Botanicals Intensive Serum all over to provide deep hydration and an extra boost of skin soothing ingredients.
- Apply a gentle, soothing, and hydration-balancing moisturizer like Refresh Botanicals Daily Moisturizer with cucumber extract, cornflower water, honeysuckle extract and sweet almond oil to control redness and irritation. And jojoba oil to balance sebum production.
In the evening:
- Use a combination of Refresh Botanicals Eye + Face Makeup Remover followed by Refresh Botanicals Foaming Facial Cleanser to ensure that your face is free of all unwanted residues.
- Give yourself a gentle face massage with Refresh Botanicals Intensive Serum to balance lipid production and ensure deep delivery of its anti-inflammatory ingredients.
- Apply an even layer of Refresh Botanicals Night Restore Complex. As with the Intensive Serum and Daily Facial Moisturizer; it contains cucumber extract, cornflower water, honeysuckle extract and sweet almond oil to control redness and irritation, and jojoba oil to balance sebum production. It will ensure that you wake up in the morning with healthy, glowing, balanced and soothed skin.